Underground » Health and Safety
The study aimed to identify priority OHS research topics for the Australian Black Coal Industry. The results of this work will contribute to the development and implementation of a coordinated and effective OHS research strategy for the industry.
To achieve the aim, this commissioned study has as its focus the following objectives:
- To review the research literature from the past ten years relating to occupational health and safety in three key areas of the industry:
- Surface operations
- Underground activities; and
- Coal processing facilities
- To identify current OHS research being undertaken relating to the Australian Black Coal industry.
- To analyse the injury and ill health compensation claims information to identify major OHS concerns.
- To critically assess the relevance and accuracy of existing accident and injury data as a tool for identifying the priority OHS problems within the industry; and
- To investigate a suitable economic model to accurately reflect the financial burden incurred by the Australian black coal industry resulting from workplace injuries and ill health.